Global roaming terms and conditions
Telecom offers a Global Roaming service, which enables you to make and receive voice calls, send and receive text messages and access packet and WAP data in countries that are included within Telecom's roaming partner alliance.
The roaming services that are available for you are dependant on the Telecom network you have access to, the specific device you own as well as the Telecom plan you are signed up to. For more information on where you can roam and what services you have access to please go to the roaming Pricing and Checklist tool located at the Telecom Roaming page
- Roaming relies on the use of overseas telecommunications networks which we do not control and therefore we cannot offer any guarantees about the quality of roaming services. Some services, such as video calling, may not be available while roaming. The use by you of overseas telecommunication networks will be subject to the terms and conditions of the relevant overseas network operator. Those terms and conditions will apply in addition to the terms and conditions contained in this agreement
- If you are travelling through the service range of a network not supported by the Telecom New Zealand roaming partner alliance you will only have access to emergency services - e.g. you will not be able to make or receive voice calls/texts, make a data connection or have access to voicemail. If you attempt to access roaming services on a network that is not supported by the Telecom roaming partner alliance you will get an operator notification.
Charges and Zone Based Pricing
- The charges that apply to roaming are in addition to any other charges which apply to your mobile plan
- The charges for roaming may include charges for voice calls and other messages sent and received or for accessing VAS/WAP and Internet services. The charges for Roaming will be determined by Telecom and/or the overseas network operator
- Roaming charges vary by call type and by zone. Note that zones used are non-geographical. Please use the roaming quick check tool at www.telecomroaming.co.nz for further information on zones and pricing
- Charges listed for incoming and outgoing calls while roaming are charged per minute (you pay the full minute rate for each minute or part minute) and are subject to change without notice. Please check www.telecomroaming.co.nz regularly for the most up-to-date charges
- In most cases, roaming charges do not attract NZ G.S.T.
- If your Telecom Mobile monthly plan has included minutes, those minutes can only be used for calls made within New Zealand and cannot be used while roaming
- Telecom reserves the right to change the zone structure and zone pricing from time to time and we will endeavour to give you at least 10 days notice of any change by posting the amendments on our website
- Additional charges may be incurred when calling premium or other special numbers (eg 0900, 0172 etc) while roaming
- Some VAS / WAP services that are free in NZ are charged while roaming
- All WAP services accessed while roaming through the menu will be charged the applicable NZ rates inclusive of NZ GST and will also include an underlying roaming data charge which will be GST exclusive
- Texts sent while roaming should be limited to 160 characters or else they will be split and sent as two texts. If this occurs you will be charged for each text
- Data roaming is charged in 10kb increments and will appear on monthly bills as a per megabyte charge for Postpaid customers or will be deducted on a pay-as-you-go basis from the prepaid balance for Prepaid customers
- If you are a Telecom Mobile Postpaid customer, all your roaming charges will be billed to your Telecom Mobile account
- The Daily Data Rate applies to any data usage and the full amount is charged to your account from the first kb you use, and applies 12.00am to 11.59pm NZ local time.
- If you are a Telecom Mobile Prepaid customer, all your roaming charges will be deducted on a pay-as-you-go basis from your prepaid account balance
- Prepaid and Postpaid customers have different roaming rates
- Prepaid customers may incur charges for voicemail deposits when their device is connected to an overseas network, regardless if the device is switched on or off
- There can be a delay for billing roaming services because the information must first be provided to Telecom from the overseas network operator. Note that this could take up to 8 weeks in some cases. Any delay in billing does not affect Telecom's right to charge you for your roaming charges, and you agree to pay all charges in full when they are due
- You are liable for all charges billed to your account or deducted from your prepaid balance while roaming. If your phone or Telecom SIM is lost or stolen while overseas, you must advise us immediately. To do so, contact the International Roaming Helpdesk on 0800 492 120 from within New Zealand or on +64 3 371 0866 from overseas. The account holder is responsible for all charges incurred through the use of their phone or SIM up until the time you advise us that it has been stolen or lost.
- The data rate in Zones 1 and 2 applies to any data usage and the full amount is charged to your account from the first kb you use, and applies 12.00am to 11.59pm NZ local time.
- Like NZ policy applies.
Like NZ Policy
- Telecom's Like NZ Policy is about making sure that everyone is getting great value mobile data from us while roaming. So in our roaming destinations with daily mobile data prices, we consider Like NZ use to be what you would normally use at home in NZ and for the majority of our customers this is well under 200MB day. When your data use is higher than we’d expect we’ll send you a text to let you know and advise you of any overage charges that may apply under our Like NZ Policy. We'll also text you to let you know when we start charging overage. Like NZ Policy Overage charges are $0.50/MB in Australia (Zone 1), and $1/MB in Canada, China, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Macau, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea Taiwan, Thailand, UK, and USA (Zone 2). Services such as tethering, file sharing and long videos are data intensive and are better to be used over Wi-Fi when roaming rather than your mobile data connection. If you believe you are within the Like NZ Policy and shouldn't be charged overage, contact the Roaming helpdesk on +64 3 371 0866 or email@example.com
Fair Use Policy
- Telecom's Fair Use Policy ensures everyone can access zero-rated (i.e. free) services, like My Telecom and use them responsibly. If your use materially exceeds what we would consider normal use patterns over any day, then your use will be deemed excessive and/or unreasonable. As an example prolonged access to zero-rated content would be considered to breach this policy. If you breach this policy Telecom may ask you to moderate your usage. If you fail to do so, Telecom reserves the right, without further notice, to block your data usage.
- Promotional offers available to Telecom Mobile customers in New Zealand will not apply when using the roaming service unless they are specifically related to roaming.
- Telecom SIMs are valuable pieces of hardware and are linked to your Telecom Mobile account. If your mobile has a Telecom SIM you should treat it like a credit or bank card, and keep it secure at all times. If your Telecom SIM is lost or stolen while overseas you must contact the International Roaming Helpdesk immediately or on +64 3 371 0866 to deactivate your card, otherwise it could be used by others to incur charges.
Automated International Roaming Data Usage Alerts
- Alerts are for XT Postpaid mobile customers only. Prepaid customers and users of i-pads and tablets do not get these alerts.
- Alerts relate to international mobile data usage.
- Usage alerts apply to each zone, for more detail on alerts including how to setup email alerts for devices that can't receive texts, see www.telecom.co.nz/roaming
- Usage alerts are designed to help you keep tabs on your megabyte usage, but ultimately it is your responsibility to monitor how many megabytes you have used.
- We cannot guarantee the accuracy of usage data alerts or when they will be received by you. You are entirely responsible for all international data usage that occurs under your mobile account.
Telecom Roaming Application for Android Terms and Conditions
- The XT Telecom Roaming app (the "Application") is owned and operated by Telecom New Zealand Limited (company number: 392406) (“Telecom”). Your use of the Application is subject to these Terms and Conditions and, where relevant, Telecom’s Roaming Terms and Conditions. This Application is optimised for use on Android supported devices with Android Operating System 2.2 or higher. To access the Application, you must have a current account with Telecom that includes internet access or access to a wireless internet service. This Application may also be used on tablet devices, supported by the Android Operating System, although the Application is not optimised for this use.
- The Application is provided to you at no cost, however you will be responsible for any costs and data charges incurred (including, where relevant, roaming data charges) with downloading, installing and using the Application, including downloading any information updates or upgrades required for the Application. You are also responsible for any downloading charges that are incurred by anyone else using the device on which you have installed the Application.
- You expressly confirm your understanding that the data roaming charges, Telecom Roaming Terms and Conditions and other information contained within the Application is accurate as at the date of Application download or most recent update only.
- Telecom does not make any guarantees and does not provide any undertaking that the Application will be available at all times or that it will be error free, secure or that any defects will be corrected. You agree that you use the Application at your own risk and that Telecom disclaims any and all responsibility for any damage or loss that you may suffer or incur as a result of using the Application, whether they are direct or consequential (including loss of profits, loss of business revenue or loss of goodwill). This includes any loss that results from any interference, malfunction or damage that occurs to your Android supported devices, arising from installing, updating or using the Application.
- Telecom reserves the right to amend, modify or withdraw any feature of the Application at any time at its sole discretion. Telecom also reserves the right to add new features, update and upgrade the Application from time to time at its sole discretion.
- You will not undertake, cause, permit or authorise the modification, creation of derivative works, translation, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling or hacking of the Application.
- Telecom retains all right, title and interest, including all intellectual property rights (whether registered or unregistered), in and to, the Application and all copies thereof.
- Telecom may change these Terms and Conditions at any time in its sole discretion. These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of New Zealand and you agree to irrevocably submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the court of New Zealand.
- Trademarks contained in the Application are owned by or licensed to Telecom and may not be removed, altered or used without Telecom’s express written consent.